Amongst the many countries in the African continent, South Africa has the best standard of medical care. Johannesburg is home to some of the most advanced medical facilities, boasting highly trained doctors and medical staff that provide top notch healthcare services.
Johannesburg has become the top medical tourism destination of South Africa, attracting various tourists and travellers from all around the world, especially Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe. While the public healthcare systems in South Africa are less up to par, Johannesburg’s private hospitals are of a word-class standard. Some of the most recognised private facilities include the Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital, the WITS University Donald Gordon Medical Centre and the Fordsburg Clinic.
Johannesburg, as a major city, is far from any areas that can cause severe illnesses, such as Malaria. However, international tourists and travellers are advised to get the following vaccines and medications to ensure safe traveling, including:
● Hepatitis B vaccination for anyone under the age of 12
● Those coming from Yellow Fever infected areas will need proof of vaccination when travelling to Johannesburg
● COVID-19 vaccination
These vaccinations are recommended to have no matter where in South Africa you will be traveling to or moving to.
Johannesburg is a massive city filled with culture and diverse people. Naturally, it will need a public transport system that will match with the people living in the city. Even though the public transport system does not reach every point or every smaller suburb in the city, the government is on a mission to constantly upgrade the services, to ensure all of its citizens have access to public transport. Some popular public transport methods include:
- Gautrain: One of the most recognisable methods of transport known to Johannesburg is the Gautrain (pronounced “How-Train”), Johannesburg’s pride and joy when it comes to public transport. The Gautrian is considered the fastest and most reliable public transport system in Johannesburg, and has major stations in Braamfontein, Rosebank, Sandton and Midrand.
- Rea Vaya: The Rea Vaya Bus Rapid Transport System (BRT) is a traffic-beating means of transport that introduces an efficient and safe mode of transport to the public of Johannesburg. The buses have designated “special” lanes where they can move freely between cars to avoid any unnecessary traffic, ensuring a speedy and safe mode of transport.
- Uber/Bolt: Uber has become the most recognisable form of public transport in South Africa, widely used by students, tourists and business people alike. Uber and Bolt is a reliable service, safe to use and only charges for the distances travelled at that time with no monthly or yearly subscriptions needed.